If you were served a plate of kale or collard greens, would your first reaction be "Yum" or "Yuk"? Dark green leafy vegetables contain perhaps the most concentrated source of nutrients of any food, yet most of us do not even eat the USDA's recommended 3 cups of greens each week.
Ultimate Greens™ makes it easy to meet your body's daily need for greens – even if you don't like to eat dark green leafy vegetables.
I have to confess, I fall into the “Yuk” camp when it comes to most greens. Although I do enjoy some salad greens like spinach and romaine lettuce, I don't eat anywhere near the amount my body requires. And since I have a number of health issues, including fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and type 2 diabetes, it's obvious I need the nutrients greens provide.
That is why I was thrilled to discover Ultimate Greens! All I have to do is mix a scoop of the Ultimate Greens powder into my favorite beverage once a day and I easily get far more nutritive value than I could ever get simply by eating more greens.
Ultimate Greens is a complete source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fiber.
Benefits of Ultimate Greens
A powerhouse of nutrition is packed into one small scoop of Ultimate Greens. It is a nutrient-rich super green foods formula which contains a complex variety of plant enzymes, herbs, algae, and grasses. Ultimate Greens:
• Promotes enhanced immune function.
• Optimizes pH balance.
• Supports proper digestion.
• Aids the body in detoxification.
Prebiotics and Probiotics
Simply put, our gastrointestinal tract contains both “good” bacteria and “bad” bacteria, ideally in about a 50/50 ratio. When everything is working properly, the good bacteria are able to keep the bad bacteria at bay and all is well. But if the bad bacteria begin to take over, we can develop an array of digestive problems including Candida albicans overgrowth and irritable bowel syndrome – both of which commonly occur with fibromyalgia and ME/CFS.
Probiotics are the good bacteria found in the intestines. They can be replenished by eating certain fermented foods like yogurt and sauerkraut or by taking supplements.
Prebiotics are indigestible carbohydrates called oligosaccharides, which feed and encourage the growth of probiotic bacteria.
Ultimate Greens contains both prebiotics and probiotics. It has 6 billion probiotic cultures that support the growth of healthy intestinal flora (good bacteria), which in turn promotes healthy digestion and detoxification.
Every solution, including body fluids, is either acidic or alkaline. The term “pH balance” refers to the body's need to maintain an appropriate balance of both acid and alkaline. For optimum health, our pH should be slightly alkaline.
When our pH is acidic, we become more susceptible to fatigue and illness because:
• Our body's ability to absorb nutrients is decreased.
• Our body's ability to repair damaged cells is decreased.
• Our body's ability to detoxify heavy metals is reduced.
• Cellular energy production is reduced.
• Tumors are able to thrive in an acidic environment.
The acidity or alkalinity of the body's pH is largely determined by diet, although emotional stress, toxic stress and immune reactions can also play a part.
When it comes to food, the terms acid and alkaline do not refer to the pH of the food itself, but rather to the pH of the residue or ash left in the body after the food is digested.
If a food is referred to as an alkaline food, it means that the food produces an alkaline ash when it is digested. Likewise, an acid food is one that produces an acid ash after digestion.
A diet aimed at maintaining health should consist of about 60% alkaline foods and 40% acid foods. However, if you are trying to restore health, your diet should consist of an 80/20 alkaline to acid ratio.
Unfortunately, the average American diet today is the exact opposite – 20% alkaline and 80% acid. Because our diets are filled with so many highly processed, nutrient-depleted, and unhelpful, hard to digest foods, our bodies' pH tends to be very acidic.
Alkaline-producing foods are mostly vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices. Everything else – including meats, fish, poultry, beans, dairy products, grains, pasta, oils and most condiments – can be found in the list of acid-producing foods.
Given those lists, it would be extremely difficult for most of us to eat a diet made up of mostly alkaline foods. This is where Ultimate Greens can come to the rescue.
Ultimate Greens is loaded with organically grown super green foods like barley grass leaf, wheat grass and alfalfa juice, which work synergistically to neutralize acid and balance the body’s pH.
Oxidative stress and free radicals have been linked to cellular damage, which can lead to many different diseases including cancer and heart disease. Antioxidants are nutrients that can prevent or slow the damage of oxidative stress and help protect your cells against the effects of free radicals.
Ultimate Greens contains green tea and grape seed extracts, both of which are packed full of antioxidants known as polyphenols. Recent research has shown polyphenols to have even more antioxidant power than the important vitamins A, C and E.
In addition to the detoxification benefits provided by probiotics, Ultimate Greens contains two powerful detoxifying nutrients – chlorella and milk thistle.
• Chlorella is often used in detox regimens to help rid the body of pesticides and heavy metals like mercury, cadmium and lead that can accumulate in our bodies and result in serious health problems.
• Milk thistle is known to be an effective liver detoxifier. One of the liver's many jobs is to clean alcohol, drugs, poisons, pollutants and other toxins from the blood. When the liver is overwhelmed by too many toxins, it becomes less effective at doing all of its jobs. Milk thistle can help protect the liver from damage, improve its ability to function properly and even enhance its ability to regenerate.
Tasty Suggestions for Mixing Ultimate Greens
Given the name Ultimate Greens, quite frankly I was afraid it would taste like ground-up greens. I certainly wasn't expecting to like it. So I was happily surprised to discover that Ultimate Greens has a very pleasant, mildly tropical flavor that I can enjoy drinking every day.
It is particularly good when mixed with cold beverages like ice water or fruit juices such as grape, apple, guava, pomegranate, etc. And unlike James Bond's martinis, Ultimate Greens mixtures can be either shaken or stirred because it mixes well, even in cold drinks.
Following are some additional taste-tempting ideas from other Ultimate Greens users:
• Ultimate Greens adds a nice flavor to iced tea. Since it is naturally sweetened, it's not necessary to add any additional sweeteners to your tea (unless you like it extra-sweet).
• Try adding Ultimate Greens to vegetable juice combos.
• Ultimate Greens also mixes well with protein powder drinks or ‘diet shakes’.
• Smoothies made by mixing Ultimate Greens, fruit and ice in a blender are very tasty.
• For kids who won't eat their greens, try mixing some Ultimate Greens in pudding or making popsicles by freezing a mixture of fruit juice and Ultimate Greens.
• Try mixing a little Ultimate Greens into your favorite jam for a little extra nutrition.
• Make Ultimate Greens ice cubes to use with other beverages to boost the nutrition in any cold drink.
Mixing Ultimate Greens with citrus or tomato juices is not recommended because they interfere with its pH-balancing effect.
I should forewarn you that Ultimate Greens is, as you might expect, very green. And the color tends to dominate whatever it is mixed with. If 'eye appeal' is very important to you or you are trying to disguise Ultimate Greens for kids, it might be best to mix it with other dark-colored ingredients such as grape juice or chocolate pudding or chocolate milk.
Dosage: As a dietary supplement, drink a scoop (10 grams) of Ultimate Greens mixed with water or your favorite non-citrus juice or other beverage each day. (Scoop is included.)
Storage: Ultimate Greens should be stored in the refrigerator after opening to maintain optimum freshness.
Contains No: Egg, dairy, yeast, artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
One small scoop of Ultimate Greens™ provides a rich and complete source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fiber that can promote enhanced immune function, optimize pH balance and aid in digestion and detoxification.
* Supplement research writer Karen Lee Richards is the Lead Expert specializing in Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, for HealthCentral's ChronicPainConnection. Karen is co-founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) and was Executive Editor of Fibromyalgia AWARE magazine for four years.
Note: This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is general and is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat or cure any illness, condition or disease. It is very important that you make no change in your healthcare plan or health support regimen without researching and discussing it in collaboration with your professional healthcare team.