The Organization for Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Education and Research (OFFER) invites the public to its second annual patient conference, “Advances in Understanding and Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia.” The conference will be held on Saturday, May 15th at the Sheraton City Centre Hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The program will include these presentations:
* "The Role of Dysregulation of the Antiviral Pathway and Viral Reactivation in the Etiology and Pathogenesis of CFS" by Dan Peterson, M.D.;
* "Central Autonomic Nervous System Regulation, Dopamine Agonists, and FM" by Andrew Holman, M.D.; and
* "A Realistic Approach to Exercise and Exercise Rehabilitation for CFS" by exercise physiologist Staci Stevens.
Participants also will select 2 to 3 workshops on these topics:
* "Effective Strategies in Securing Social Security Disability Benefits for Patients with FM and CFS" by attorney Loren Lambert;
* "A New Approach for Successful Disability Claims" by attorney Loren Lambert and insurance claims advocate Mary Covington;
* "Working With Our Thoughts and Feelings" by Stuart Drescher, Ph.D., James Magleby, LCSW, Linnea Smith Noyes, Ph.D., and Cathy Seegers, A.P.R.N.;
* "Evidence of FM as a Sleep Disorder" by Martin Scharf, Ph.D.;
* "Advances in Physical Therapy Approaches in FM" by physical therapist Steve Crandall;
* "Stress, Sex Hormones, and FM" by Akiko Okifuji, Ph.D.;
* "Understanding Jaw Disorders and Associated Pain" by James Guinn, D.M.D.;
* "Massage Therapy and Study Results" by Lucinda Bateman, M.D., and Maggie Adams, L.M.T.;
* FM Patient Panel: "Tips for Living Well with FM" moderated by Lee Smith, M.D.;
* CFS Patient Panel: "Tips for Living Well with CFS" moderated by Lucinda Bateman, M.D.; and
* "Tai Chi and Qigong" by physical therapist Elaine Lu.
Registration for the patient conference (including pasta lunch) is just $35; advance registration is required. For more information about the patient conference, please contact OFFER at (801) 328-8080 or see www.offerutah.org/conference-PT.htm
In conjunction with the patient conference, OFFER is hosting a conference for medical and legal professionals. This day-long program, on Friday, May 14, also entitled “Advances in Understanding and Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia,” includes presentations by the faculty listed above and by Leonard Jason, Ph.D., who will speak on "Diagnosis and Epidemiology of CFS." Participants also are invited to attend the patient conference.
Registration for the professional provider program is $125 for physicians and $75 for other practitioners. For more about the medical/legal provider program, please see www.offerutah.org/conference-PROV.htm or contact the IHC Continuing Medical Education office at (801) 408-1976 or (800) 842-5498.
OFFER is a non-profit, volunteer-run organization that seeks to: network and improve community resources for patients with CFS and fibromyalgia; educate medical providers, patients, and the general public about these conditions and their treatment; advocate on behalf of patients; and support research into the cause, diagnosis, and treatment of CFS and FMS. If you would like to support OFFER's work, please send tax-deductible donations to OFFER, 1002 E. South Temple, Suite 408, Salt Lake City, UT 84102.