New information and an update on the nutritional support protocol Dr. Pall suggests to down-regulate the NO/ONOO- cycle in unexplained illnesses
Dr. Martin L. Pall, PhD (Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry & Basic Medical Science at Washington State University) has launched a website providing updates on his intensive research to understand and find ways to normalize a stressor-initiated problem with regulation of the body’s complex nitric oxide cycle. With more info promised in the near future.
Dr. Pall believes elevated nitric oxide levels - which he terms the “Tenth Paradigm of Disease” - explain the symptoms of such traditionally ‘unexplained’ and often overlapping illnesses as myalgic encephalomyelitis/‘chronic fatigue syndrome’ (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS).
Dr. Pall’s NO/ONOO- cycle theory of disease has captured the attention of scientists and patients around the globe, since publication in 2007 of his book Explaining Unexplained Illnesses.
The Pall Protocol to Combat Oxidative Stress
At the heart of Dr. Pall’s continuing work (via The Tenth Paradigm Research Group at WSU) is the evolving nutritional support protocol he formulated to counteract oxidative stress and thus down-regulate the nitric oxide cycle.
Accordingly, a notable feature of the new website is an explanation of suggested additions to the original antioxidant-rich protocol - which incorporates many findings of Drs. Cheney, Nicolson, Petrovic, and Teitelbaum, and MCS specialist Dr. Grace Ziem. The protocol includes special formulations that Dr. Pall designed with Allergy Research Group, and other supplements (which ProHealth is honored to feature as the “Dr. Pall Products” in our store).
Information on TheTenthParadigm.org
The new website – http://thetenthparadigm.org – features:
• An overview of Dr. Pall’s “Tenth Paradigm” theory of illness, with updates reflecting ongoing research and a table linking individual illness signs & symptoms to effects of elevated nitric oxide/peroxynitrite.
• Disease-specific subsites laying out the evidence of NO/ONOO- cycle effects, and different initiating stressors, in:
- Fibromyalgia (with special attention to evidence of likely mechanisms underlying the widespread pain of FM)
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (to come, pending publication of new journal articles by Dr. Pall)
- Chronic Inflammatory Diseases proposed as NO/ONOO- cycle illnesses, ranging from Alzheimer’s disease to irritable bowel syndrome and Parkinson’s disease.
• Dr. Pall’s Nutritional Support Protocol, the added suggestions being FibroBoost® (Ecklonia cava algae extract), and generous doses of buffered vitamin C (products now offered separately in the ProHealth store).
• Therapy - a summary of the evidence (observed by clinicians and/or demonstrated in clinical trials) underlying each agent included so far in the Protocol.
For plain-language explanations of Dr. Pall’s theory and protocol, see also:
• “Nitric Oxide Cycle Theory: Will It Explain ME/CFS, FM, and Other ‘Unexplained Illnesses?” – a Q&A with Martin L. Pall, PhD.
• The script of a Live Chat Q&A with Dr. Pall, held in the ProHealth.com Chat Rooms.
Note: This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is generic and is not meant to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any illness, condition or disease. Dr. Pall is a biochemist, not a medical doctor, and his theory and suggested protocol should not be taken as medical advice. It is very important that you make no change in your healthcare plan or health support regimen without researching and discussing it in collaboration with your professional healthcare team.