Many ME/CFS patients take a variety of supplements and herbs
along with, or sometimes instead of, pharmaceutical drugs. Because ME/CFS patients are so often sensitive to medications, supplements and herbs can provide a healthy, helpful alternative.
Some of the supplements used for various ME/CFS symptoms include:
- Sleep – Melatonin, valerian root, calcium/magnesium, GABA, 5-HTP
- Energy – B12, DHEA, NADH, magnesium malate, D-ribose, CoQ10
- Pain – Vitamin D, magnesium malate, white willow bark, bromelain, thiamin, fish oil
- Memory – DMAE, ginkgo biloba, vinpocetine, methylcobalamin (a form of B12), fish oil, acetyl l-carnitine
- Immune System Support –transfer factor, olive leaf extract, AHCC, beta glucan, colostrum, fish oil.
A supplement combo reported to be effective in treating ME/CFS is known as the Myers’ Cocktail. It is an intravenous pharmaceutical strength nutritional therapy, usually consisting of B vitamins
, vitamin C
, that is administered by a physician.