Although it doesn't get much attention, iodine is critical for both thyroid and breast function. This means that our entire energy production system is critically dependent on iodine. With fibromyalgia being an energy crisis at its core, optimizing energy is important
Here are 7 symptoms that suggest that you may be iodine deficient:
- Fatigue. Iodine is critical for thyroid function, and the thyroid controls our energy "furnaces."
- Muscle pain. Low energy causes muscles to get locked in the shortened position, make them hurt. Our published research has shown that optimizing energy production can dramatically decrease muscle pain. For example, optimizing energy production using our SHINE protocol was associated with a 91% improvement in people with fibromyalgia. For more information on fibromyalgia, see https://secure.endfatigue.com/tools-support/treatment-protocol.html.
- Weight gain. If you don't burn calories for energy, you store it as fat. Two studies in our research center showed an average 32 1/2 pound weight gain in fibromyalgia.
- Constipation. It takes energy to keep things moving.
- Cold intolerance.
- Infertility. Underactive thyroid is a commonly missed cause of unexplained infertility. For a free information sheet on how to optimize fertility, you can email me at FatigueDoc@Gmail.com.
- Breast tenderness. Iodine is critical for healthy breast function. Deficiency is a major cause of fibrocystic breast disease and breast tenderness. In addition, research has shown that women with breast cancer have lower tissue iodine levels, and optimizing iodine may be important for optimizing breast health.
Why is this a problem?
Subscribe to the World's Most Popular Newsletter (it's free!)
Over the last 50 years, the average American's iodine intake has dropped by 30 to 50%. In large part, this resulted from bakers switching from iodized flour to bromated flour. This has resulted in a double whammy. Not just has our diet become iodine deficient, but being a halide, a chemical cousin to iodine, the bromide may actually block iodine function.
Optimizing Iodine Function
I do not find testing for iodine function to be helpful. Instead, simply giving 6 ¼ mg of iodine daily (6250 µg) can help restore optimized iodine levels, while also flushing out toxins such as fluoride and bromide that may block iodine function. I use a form called Tri-iodine by EuroPharma. I give this for 3 to 6 months (stopping it in the rare cases where it flares peoples indigestion/solar plexus pain), and then it can be used long term if the person would like. I also make sure that their multivitamin has at least 200 µg of iodine. I use the Energy Revitalization System vitamin powder by Enzymatic Therapy, which gives optimized overall nutritional support for 50 key nutrients, including iodine, in one low cost drink each day.
Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, is author of the popular free Phone app "Cures A-Z," and of the best-selling books From Fatigued to Fantastic!, The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution, and Pain Free 1-2-3. He is lead author on 4 studies of effective treatment for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and a study on effective treatment of autism using NAET. Dr. Teitelbaum does frequent media appearances including Good Morning America, CNN, Fox News Channel, the Dr Oz Show and Oprah & Friends. Web site: www.EndFatigue.com