(This is a recent post from the “What Worked for Me” message string in ProHealth’s ME/CFS & FM Message Board. The string was started in 2006 and now includes 23 pages of contributions.)
For the past several months I have been working on improving my life. I have several professionals helping me.
• I think the most important one is the fibro specialist at a rheumatology clinic. She suggested that I get a sleep study, and I found out that I have sleep apnea. The sleep study doctor told me that everyone with a diagnosis of FM should have a sleep study. When you have sleep apnea you could have a build-up of carbon dioxide, which can cause pain among a lot of other things. I was amazed when I Googled sleep apnea.
• I also went to an endocrine specialist, and I have hypothyroidism. She did the total panel of thyroid hormones which several doctors had refused to do for me. My thyroid tests had always come back normal. The specialist discovered my body doesn’t have the ability to convert the T4 to T3. My T3 was almost nonexistent, so now I take 2 thyroid meds.
• I went to an allergist and discovered I was allergic to my cat, amongst other things. I had to give away my cat, but I feel better now. The good news is I’m not allergic to dogs : ).
• I’m going to physical therapy and found out that one leg is shorter than the other. This can cause all-over body pain, so now I have a lift in one shoe.
• I found out I had a huge vitamin deficiency. Now I take a lot of supplements and eat whole foods and a lot of fruit and veggies. Also, fish oil has helped. I had refused this before because I was vegetarian, but now eat chicken and tuna.
• I just went to the dermatologist so I can find out what the skin bumps are. Waiting for results on this.
• Also found out my white blood cell count is low. So I’m waiting for this to be investigated.
• Stopped the SNRI med. I can think better now!
• I would also advise Dr. Teitelbaum’s book From Fatigued to Fantastic. So far he has been right about several of the problems that fibro people have that can be helped.
So that is my story, hope it helps someone. : ) – S