“It is now our turn to support the one doctor in the UK who was not afraid of the establishment, at great cost to herself.” – from a post dated April 13 on ProHealth’s ME/CFS Message Board.
Following is another early post by researcher Rich Van Konynenburg, addressing the worldwide ME/CFS, FM, and MCS communities – thousands of whom have been rallying to Dr. Myhill’s defense via petitions, letters, articles, and planned protests.
Since Dr. Myhill’s announcement on Friday (April 9) that the General Medical Council in the UK is threatening again to withdraw her medical license (http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Category:My_GMC_Hearing), there has been a major mobilization of the international CFS community to offer her support. The following have occurred:
• John Greensmith posted a letter to the GMC on Co-Cure (and the ProHealth Board www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1388461).
• The Aboutmecfs.com forum was notified by Cort Johnson (www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?4269-Dr-MyHill-s-License-in-Jeopardy)
• Craig Robinson informed Co-Cure and other groups that he had begun collecting and collating copies of communications sent to the GNC. “Hundreds” of them were reported to have been received by the GNC over the weekend. Dr. Myhill herself received 75 over the weekend from people in several other countries in addition to the UK.”
• Dr. Saugstad of the European Society for M.E. (ESME) wrote to the GMC on Dr. Myhill’s behalf.
• A Facebook page was set up in support of Dr. Myhill by three supporters (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=share&gid=108048875899603)
• An ipetition was initiated. (“Witch Hunt of Dr Sarah Myhill,” with [thousands] of signatures, mounting by the minute, at www.ipetitions.com/petition/witchhuntofdrsarahmyhill/.) It is not required to proceed to the donation step.)
• Jane Bryant of the One Click Group announced to the GMC that she was mobilizing her “pressure group” in support of Dr. Myhill (www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk).
• Mary Shomon posted an article to her thyroid group (http://thyroid.about.com/b/2010/04/12/doctor-sarah-myhill-uk-gmc-witchhunt.htm).
• There are probably other activities that I haven’t heard about. [Yes, many more since then.]
• If there are people here who have benefited from reading Dr. Myhill’s website, which is what the complaint against her is about (that it’s a threat to public safety), and who would like to lend some support to her in her “hour of need,” you can do so by writing to the email address cited earlier in this thread. (Email the GMC at email@example.com)
Note: For many years, ProHealth has consistently found Dr. Myhill to be among the top few clinicians in the world in terms of hands-on ME/CFS patient knowledge, research, education and health support basics – always with a spirit of utmost generosity and dedication to investigating the physical factors accounting for the symptoms of ME/CFS and related conditions. Witness her groundbreaking research on ME/CFS as Mitochondrial Dysfunction. In our view she is a truly holistic practitioner, blending a cutting-edge knowledge of nutritional as well as traditional medical science.