National Fibromyalgia Association and Swiss Medica form strategic alliance to launch 024™ pain reliever specifically formulated to treat fibromyalgia
ORANGE, Calif. – June 3, 2005 – The National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA), the largest nonprofit organization for people with fibromyalgia, today announced its strategic partnership with Swiss Medica, Inc. (OTCBB: SWME.OB), a manufacturer and distributor of patented and clinically approved over-the-counter natural health products, to help launch the company’s O24™ pain reliever, the first specially formulated product for sufferers of the chronic pain illness to be sold at retail outlets throughout North America.
The 024™ pain reliever is also the first product of its kind carrying the NFA’s official Seal of Approval. As part of the alliance with Swiss Medica, the NFA will receive a percentage of the proceeds from sales of 024™.
Fibromyalgia, a common and chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points, affects between 6 million and 10 million Americans, according to expert estimates. The National Fibromyalgia Association estimates that 3% to 6% of the U.S. population has fibromyalgia.
Said Lynne Matallana, president and founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association, “We are very pleased that Swiss Medica has developed a product that has been clinically shown to be effective for fibromyalgia pain, and is also committed to helping support patient service programs and future research implemented by the NFA to directly benefit the fibromyalgia community.”.
The launching of 024™ is scheduled for June 6 at the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) Marketplace 2005 Conference and exhibition in New Orleans. Matallana will join Swiss Medica executives who will unveil the results of a randomized double blind clinical trial which compared the O24™ pain reliever against a placebo on patients suffering from fibromyalgia. In the pilot study of 153 fibromyalgia subjects conducted over a 4-6 week period, 133 participants (87%) completed the study with 68 (51%) using a placebo. The other 65 (49%) used the O24™ product. Assessments of these participants were carried out at multiple community clinics in the Greater Toronto Area. The group treated with O24™ showed statistically significant improvement when measured on the Visual Analog Scale for pain, according to reports.
About Swiss Medica Inc.
Swiss Medica commercializes proprietary bioscience products that relieve chronic ailments. The company increases its market share through focused distribution strategies in multiple sales channels. Swiss Medica’s mission is to be a world leader in the commercialization of life enhancing bioscience products that improve quality of lives. Please visit our websites at www.swissmedica.com and www.O24zone.com www.pmsescape.com
About the National Fibromyalgia Association
The National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) is a nonprofit [501 (c (3)] organization whose mission is to develop and execute programs dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with fibromyalgia. The NFA concentrates on patient support and informational services, awareness outreach, physician continuing medical education and research. The NFA produces educational materials, sponsors CME and patient conferences, hosts a web site (www.FMaware.org), and publishes Fibromyalgia AWARE, the first and only consumer magazine for people with fibromyalgia, chronic pain and other invisible illnesses. As part of the NFA’s patient support efforts, it provides information and assistance to over 1,500 Fibromyalgia Support Group Leaders and their members.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the “Safe Harbor” provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, risks relating to the ability to close transactions being contemplated, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, continued acceptance of Swiss Medica’s products, increased levels of competition, technological changes, dependence on intellectual property rights and other risks detailed from time to time in Swiss Medica’s periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory authorities.