Pumpkin season has arrived in the Hippy household, and I am already dreaming up all the pumpkin recipes that I want to come up with for you guys! I can’t deny my pumpkin-love every fall. I like to indulge in pumpkin everything….except maybe those pumpkin Oreos. During the fall season, I am a glutton for pumpkin pie any time of day. I don’t care that it’s a dessert, it makes the best breakfast, but sometimes I am in a hurry and don’t have time to make a pie. That’s where my fantastic Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Smoothie comes into play. Not only is it delicious but it’s also nutritious, so ditch the guilt and indulge your pumpkin season cravings!
Support a Healthy Inflammation Response with Turmeric
Turmeric’s star ingredient (chemical constituent) that’s being studied for its effectiveness, is called curcumin (1). While eating turmeric by itself is beneficial, it’s interesting to note that curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream unless combined with black pepper! Black pepper contains a chemical constituent, called piperine, that helps enhance the absorption of curcumin by 2000%(2)! When picking out a turmeric supplement, it’s important to check the ingredients to be sure that they have included black pepper into their blend so that you get the most from your turmeric supplements.
I have a secret to getting my daily dose of turmeric! I like to add it to my smoothies and fresh juice, but I don’t just add turmeric from my spice cabinet, I like to use MegaFood’s Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder to get the added bonus of tart cherry and black pepper in my smoothies! I LOVE MegaFood’s Nutrient Booster Powders because they are so easy to use and can be added to all sorts of recipes including your morning oatmeal, healthy desserts, and more! According toMegaFood, their Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder:
- Supports the health of cells and tissues prior to and after workout/physical activity*
- Promotes healthy aging and well-being*
- Helps maintain your body’s ability to respond in a healthy manner to mental and physical stress*
- Helps maintain a healthy whole body inflammatory response*
- 1 cup coconut milk (or another non-dairy milk) + more if needed while blending
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 frozen ripe banana
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 2 Tbsp. – 1/4 cup maple syrup (sweeten to taste!)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice or (2 tsp. cinnamon powder, 1 tsp. ginger root powder, a pinch of nutmeg and cloves)
- 1 scoop MegaFood Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder
- vegan coconut milk whipped cream (optional)
- Combine ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with whipped cream and spices!
- Jurenka, JS. “Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research.” – Altern Med Rev. 2009 Sep;14(3):277.
- Department of Pharmacology, St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India. “Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers.” – Planta Med. 1998 May;64(4):353-6.
Reprinted with kind permission of MegaFood
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."