Clinical trials have shown that NT Factor® can actually support the repair of damaged cell membranes – in effect reducing the cells’ biological age and restoring the ability of the mitochondria to generate energy.
This is true whether the fatigue or lack of energy is the result of a chronic illness like ME/CFS, fibromyalgia or Lyme disease, a side effect of chemotherapy, or simply a result of aging.
Studies done with severely fatigued patients in each of these populations demonstrated that NT Factor can support the reduction of fatigue levels by as much as 45%.(1-3, 7)
The Story Behind NT Factor
John Casey, president of Nutritional Therapeutics, Inc., was the driving force behind the development of NT Factor. Casey believed new diseases were emerging largely due to the changes in our food supply. He explained that in 1977 the Commission on Nutrition in the U.S. Congress set us up on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet pathway which has had a destructive effect on human health. NT Factor was envisioned as a bridge between the healthier diet of old and today’s modern diet.
Casey found that the fundamental problem with the modern diet is that it leads to leaky-gut syndrome, candidiasis (yeast overgrowth), and other gastrointestinal problems, which in turn hinder the proper absorption and utilization of nutrients. In his search for a way to correct this problem, he looked to nature. Where in nature is this problem solved? In mother’s milk, of course. So mother’s milk became the blueprint for developing NT Factor.
An important component of mother’s milk is phosphoglycolipids (also called glycophospholipids). Phosphoglycolipids are a special type of fat and they make up a significant portion of the structure of cell membranes.
But those phosphoglycolipids need a hospitable environment in the stomach and GI tract in order to be utilized properly. So, in addition to being a rich source of phosphoglycolipids, NT Factor was also formulated to provide both:
- The friendly bacteria (bifido and lactobacillus bacterium) needed to keep the gastrointestinal tract functioning properly,
- And the growth media necessary to feed the good bacteria so they can colonize.
A Bonus Discovery – Cell Membrane Repair
Although the initial goal was to correct the gastrointestinal problems caused by a less than ideal diet, researchers soon discovered another exciting benefit. They found that NT Factor also supports the repair of cell membranes – not just in the gastrointestinal tract, but throughout the whole body.(3)
How NT Factor Works to Repair Cell Membranes
The NT Factor formulation is specially designed so that the phosphoglycolipids match the human cell membrane and are not digested but instead are able to get into the wall of the GI tract intact. Once there, they go to work repairing any damage in the cell membrane.
As we get older or develop various illnesses, oxidative stress produces free radicals which destroy cell membranes, literally causing holes in our cells. The cell membrane is composed mainly of fats with some protein. When the phosphoglycolipids in NT Factor get to the cell membrane, they fill in and plug any holes. This enables the cell to once again function as it is meant to.
Phosphoglycolipids have their own energy supply, each containing a battery-like structure with a positive and negative charge. Because of this, when this type of lipid is laid against a cell membrane, it naturally forces itself into the membrane. Therefore, phosphoglycolipids require none of the patient’s energy to get into the body – an important feature for individuals who already suffer from severe fatigue.
- Once phosphoglycolipids get into the body, they first work to repair the cells in the lining of the stomach and the GI tract.
- When that is accomplished, they are then able to start flowing through the digestive system into other cells throughout the body, eventually reaching and repairing every cell in the body – from the brain to the toes.
Since the cell membrane is the gateway of all nutrition and the production site for enzymes, energy, proteins, hormones, etc., repairing the cell membrane sets the stage for everything else in the body to function better.
NT Factor enables all other nutrients to work better because it repairs the cell membranes. This improves the body’s ability to take in nutrition and get rid of waste more effectively.
How NT Factor Helps Reduce Fatigue
When a person experiences chronic fatigue, whether it’s due to an illness, a side effect of cancer treatment, or aging, the mitochondria are only operating at 40 to 60 percent of capacity. There is not enough energy left to drive all of the important functions needed – which can include thinking, movement, muscular function and other necessary activities.
Mitochondria function like little batteries within our cells, providing the energy our bodies need. With ME/CFS (myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome), fibromyalgia, chronic Lyme disease and other neurodegenerative diseases, the mitochondrial membrane is damaged, causing it to leak.
When the mitochondria become leaky, they cannot generate much energy. Why? Because an important part of the cell membrane function is to provide insulation for the mitochondria. A good comparison is the insulation surrounding a battery. If you take the insulation off of the battery, it runs down very quickly. The same thing happens with the mitochondria.
Each mitochondrion is made up of an inner and outer membrane. The inner membrane is where food, water and oxygen are converted to adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which supplies energy to all your cells. It’s also where the free radicals that drive aging and illness are produced. As the phosphoglycolipids in NT Factor are pushed into the mitochondria to repair the membrane, the production of free radicals that damage the membrane is slowed down or stopped. Thus, phosphoglycolipids optimize the mitochondria’s ability to produce energy.
The ability of the NT Factor phosphoglycolipids to support repair of mitochondrial membrane damage was visually demonstrated in a 2003 study. The mitochondria of patients with moderately severe fatigue were isolated and fed a fluorescent dye called Rhodomine-123. The healthier the cell, the more dye it would take up and the brighter it would light up. On day one, the mitochondria luminosity was poor but after taking NT Factor for 60 days, they were brightly lit up, indicating that the mitochondria has been repaired.(3)
Multiple tests done with both moderately and severely fatigued patients have shown that NT Factor can support reduction of fatigue by as much as 45% and increases in mitochondrial function of 35%.(1, 3-5)
|No. of Participants||Average Age||Length of Study||Reduction in Fatigue|
In 2010, the Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association published a study in which 67 participants with chronic fatigue took NT Factor with a B-vitamin complex for one week. After just that one week, their fatigue already had been reduced by an average of 36.8%.(6)
What Makes Mitochondria IgniteTM with NT® Factor Unique?
ProHealth’s Mitochondria Ignite with NT Factor stands out in the world of nutritional supplements. It is a unique blend of nutrients, including antioxidants, phosphoglycolipids, probiotics, vitamins, minerals and amino acids that work together to support the repair of damaged cell membranes and the restoration of healthy mitochondrial function.
The star of Mitochondria Ignite with NT Factor is, of course, NT Factor. There are a number of characteristics that make NT Factor unlike any other nutritional supplement:
- The phosphoglycolipids in NT Factor are a unique extract that matches human cell membranes. This is why they are able to push themselves into the cell membranes.
- NT Factor is composed only of food and food components.
- The phosphoglycolipids in NT Factor are unoxidized lipids. Many food sources and products purchased from health stores contain oxidized lipids, which cannot be used to repair cell membranes.
- NT Factor’s phosphoglycolipids are protected so they are not oxidized and destroyed by the digestive process.
- NT Factor is natural to the human body. Not all natural products are – they may be a natural plant source, for example, but not necessarily natural to the human body.
- NT Factor is the only product proven in clinical trials to support the repair of damaged cell membranes.
- NT Factor is proven in clinical trials to successfully support reduced fatigue.
- NT Factor has reported benefits in fatigue trials for the large majority of those who take it.
NT Factor supports the repair of damaged cell membranes and restoration of cellular function – most notably that of the energy producing components of cells, the mitochondria. This can result in significant improvement for people with moderate or severe fatigue.
This article, originally published in October 2010 was updated on August 12, 2019.
Karen Lee Richards is ProHealth’s Editor-in-Chief. A fibromyalgia patient herself, she co-founded the nonprofit organization now known as the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) and served as its vice-president for eight years. She was also the executive editor of Fibromyalgia AWARE, the very first full-color, glossy magazine devoted to FM and other invisible illnesses. After leaving the NFA, Karen served as the Guide to Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for the New York Times website About.com, and then for eight years as the Chronic Pain Health Guide for The HealthCentral Network.
1. Nicolson GL, et al. Lipid replacement and antioxidant nutritional therapy for restoring mitochondrial function and reducing fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome and other fatiguing illnesses. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 2006 Sept; 13(1):57-68. doi.org/10.1300/J092v13n01_06
2. Nicolson GL. Lipid replacement/antioxidant therapy as an adjunct supplement to reduce the adverse effects of cancer therapy and restore mitochondrial function. Pathology Oncology Research 2005 11(3):139-144. Full Text PDF
3. Agadjanyan M, et al. Nutritional supplement (NT Factor™) restores mitochondrial function and reduces moderately severe fatigue in aged subjects. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2003 Jan; 11(3):23-36. doi.org/10.1300/J092v11n03_03
4. Nicolson GL. Lipid replacement as an adjunct to therapy for chronic fatigue, anti-aging and restoration of mitochondrial function. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 2003 Summer; 6(3):22-28. Full Text
5. Ellithorpe RR, et al. Reduction of fatigue by use of a dietary supplement containing glycophospholipids. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 2003 Winter; 6(1):23-28. Full Text PDF
6. Nicolson GL, et al. Lipid replacement therapy with a glycophospholipid-antioxidant-vitamin formulation significantly reduces fatigue within one week. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association 2010; 13(1):10-14. Full Text
7. Nicolson GL, et al. Lipid replacement therapy with a glycophospholipid formulation with NADH and CoQ10 significantly reduces fatigue in intractable chronic fatiguing illnesses and chronic Lyme disease patients. International Journal of Clinical Medicine, Vol.3 No.3(2012). doi:10.4236/ijcm.2012.33034
Note: This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is general and is not meant to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any condition, illness, or disease. It is very important that you make no change in your healthcare plan or health support regimen without researching and discussing it in collaboration with your professional healthcare team.