Here are tips from the Arthritis Foundation for starting an exercise program:
• Plan your exercises at a time when you’re least likely to be stiff or in pain.
• Make sure you have the proper equipment such as supportive shoes and a forgiving walking surface.
• Start slowly and build up the amount of time you exercise gradually.
• If your pain is greater than normal two hours after exercise you may want to reduce the level of activity.
• Stop right away if you have chest pain, severe dizziness, nausea or shortness of breath.