Arthritis of the hand can make everyday activities very painful. Here are some suggestions to help ease the pain during some common tasks:
* Carry a plate by scooping it up with the palms of both hands.
* When using a coffee mug, encircle it with both hands instead of placing your fingers through the handle.
* Place a strap on refrigerator doors or cupboards. To open, place your forearm through the strap and pull.
* To wash dishes, use a scrubber that fits over your hand and keeps your fingers straight.
* Instead of using your fingers to close plastic containers, use the palms of your hands, your forearms or elbows.
(Source: Missouri Arthritis Rehabilitation and Research Training Center)