Air travel can be stressful for everyone, including those with arthritis. Here are a few tips to help make your experience as comfortable as possible:
* Request any special services at the time you book your reservation.
* Reserve seats ahead of time to avoid standing in lines.
* If you will need special assistance, arrive at least one hour before the normal check-in time and allow extra time to get to the airport and through the terminal to the departing gate.
* If you have difficulty walking, request an airport wheelchair or motorized cart to save energy. Such requests should be made in advance.
* Ask skycaps to carry your luggage.
* Curbside check-in saves on luggage carrying and standing in lines.
* Check all luggage through to your final destination, especially if you have connecting flights.
* Prevent stiffness during a flight with simple range-of-motion exercises or by getting up and moving around if possible.
(Source: University of Washington, Orthopedics and Sports Medicine)