You do not have to be an athlete to benefit from regular physical activity. Even modest amounts of physical activity can improve your health. Start with small, specific goals such as walking 10 minutes a day, 3 days a week and slowly build up from there. Keep an activity log to track your progress. Try these activities to add more movement to your daily life:
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Make sure the stairs are well lit.
• Get off the bus one stop early if you are in an area safe for walking.
• Park the car farther away from entrances to stores, movie theatres, or your home.
• Take a short walk around the block with family, friends, or coworkers.
• In bad weather, walk around a mall.
• Rake the leaves.
• Visit museums, the zoo, or an aquarium. You and your family will walk for hours and not realize it.
• Wash the car.
• Take a walk after dinner instead of watching TV.
(Source: National Institutes of Health)
Quote of the Day
“Discipline is remembering what you want.” – David Campbell