Eating enough fruits and vegetables throughout the day is an essential step to good nutrition and good health. Here are a few ideas to help you get at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day:
* Add fresh or dried fruit to breakfast cereals.
* Choose a wide variety of salad greens, including arugula, chicory, collards, dandelion greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach and watercress.
* Look for pasta made with vegetables such as spinach or beets.
* Enrich and thicken soups and sauces with cooked and pureed vegetables in place of cream or whole milk.
* Add grated raw carrot or apple to lean ground beef or turkey when making meatloaf or meatballs.
* Drink 100 percent fruit juice mixed with sparkling water instead of soda.
* Freeze fresh grapes and enjoy them instead of sugary iced treats
* Place a pack of dried fruit in your car, purse, briefcase, backpack or lunch box for a between-meal snack.
(Source: Mayo Clinic, www.mayoclinic.com)
Quote of the Day
“Nothing was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson