Sometimes it’s good to look at the funny side of serious subjects like fibromyaliga symptoms and chronic pain. While fibromyalgia itself is a serious illness, there are certainly some parts we can chuckle at. Our brain fog (AKA fibro-fog) experiences alone could keep an audience laughing.
I used to have a t-shirt that said, “Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.” Let’s take a lesson from the angels and take a minute to laugh at ourselves. For example, here are some telltale signs that you might have fibromyalgia.
On the Lighter Side of Fibromyalgia Symptoms
Subscribe to the World's Most Popular Newsletter (it's free!)
You might have fibromyalgia if…
- Everything hurts – and what doesn’t hurt, doesn’t work.
- You feel like the morning after but you didn’t have a night before.
- Your phone’s contact list contains only names ending in M.D.
- You get confused playing checkers.
- Your trash goes out more often than you do.
- You finally have all the answers but you forgot what the questions were.
- You have to weigh how hungry you are against how much effort it would take to cook and how many dishes it would dirty.
- You look forward to a dull evening.
- You get more excited about buying new pajamas than a new outfit.
- You sit in a rocking chair and can’t get it going.
- You have to rest halfway through applying lotion to your body.
- Your brain is like the Bermuda Triangle – information goes in and is never found again.
- After painting the town red, you have to rest for a week before applying the second coat.
- You consider a discussion of bowel problems interesting conversation.
- You know what’s on TV at 3:00 a.m.
- The hardest decision of your day is whether to shower or eat.
- Dialing long distance wears you out.
- You can rise and shine but not at the same time.
- You stop to think and forget to start again.
- You get lost driving to and from a place you’ve been to a hundred times before. Or worse, you get lost in the parking lot!
- You feel hung over in the morning, but you didn’t have a drop of alcohol the night before.
- You hunt all over your house for your glasses only to find they’ve been on your head all along.
- You find your phone in the refrigerator with no memory of how it got there to begin with.
- You’ve forgotten your age and require a calendar or calculator to remember it.
- You repeat the same story twice, because you’ve forgotten that you already told it once.
- You find yourself laughing at this list, and now you need to rest.
Between fibromyalgia treatments and dealing with flare-ups, we’ve got a lot to be stressed out about. But let’s try to find some amusement in it all. Can you think of other humorous signs that you might have fibro?
This article was first published on ProHealth.com on February 3, 2015 and was updated on July 27, 2019.
Karen Lee Richards is ProHealth’s Editor-in-Chief. A fibromyalgia patient herself, she co-founded the nonprofit organization now known as the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) in 1997 and served as its vice-president for eight years. She was also the executive editor of Fibromyalgia AWARE magazine. After leaving the NFA, Karen served as the Guide to Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for the New York Times website About.com, then worked for eight years as the Chronic Pain Health Guide for The HealthCentral Network before coming to ProHealth. To learn more about Karen, see “Meet Karen Lee Richards.”