Sometimes it’s good to look at the funny side of serious subjects. While fibromyalgia itself is a serious illness, there are some humorous aspects. Our fibro-fog experiences alone could keep an audience laughing.
I used to have a t-shirt that said, “Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.” Let’s take a lesson from the angels and take a minute to laugh at ourselves. For example, here are some telltale signs that you might have fibromyalgia.
You might have fibromyalgia if…
Subscribe to the World's Most Popular Newsletter (it's free!)
- Everything hurts – and what doesn’t hurt, doesn’t work.
- You feel like the morning after but you didn’t have a night before.
- Your phone’s contact list contains only names ending in M.D.
- You get confused playing checkers.
- Your trash goes out more often than you do.
- You finally have all the answers but you forgot what the questions were.
- You have to weigh how hungry you are against how much effort it would take to cook and how many dishes it would dirty.
- You look forward to a dull evening.
- You get more excited about buying new pajamas than a new outfit.
- You sit in a rocking chair and can’t get it going.
- You have to rest halfway through applying lotion to your body.
- Your brain is like the Bermuda Triangle – information goes in and is never found again.
- After painting the town red, you have to rest for a week before applying the second coat.
- You consider a discussion of bowel problems interesting conversation.
- You know what’s on TV at 3:00 a.m.
- The hardest decision of your day is whether to shower or eat.
- Dialing long distance wears you out.
- You can rise and shine but not at the same time.
- You stop to think and forget to start again.
- You find yourself smiling at this list.
Can you think of other humorous signs that you might have fibro?
Karen Lee Richards is ProHealth’s Fibromyalgia Editor. She is also co-founder of the National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) and was Executive Editor of Fibromyalgia AWARE magazine for four years.