It's hard to find a natural antidote to today's overstressed world. The encouraging news is that lemon balm
), a perennial herb in the mint family native to the Mediterranean region, has been clinically proven
to help promote sleep and relaxation. What's more, lemon balm produces these calming effects while also enhancing memory and attention!(1-9)
Cyracos® lemon balm extract is prepared from special lemon balm chosen for its high concentrations of hydroxycinnamic and rosmarinic acids. These active lemon balm constituents appear to enhance mood by modulating specific nicotinic and muscarinic receptors in the cerebral cortex of the brain.
Aside from relieving everyday stress and sleep problems, this plant extract may also offer smokers relief from the mental stress of quitting, aid in leveling mood swings, and help reduce the emotional hunger associated with dieting (or following a calorie restriction regimen for anti-aging purposes).
The Japanese have long known that L-theanine, an amino acid derived from green tea, is a natural relaxant that diminishes stress,(10-13) without drowsiness, impaired thought, or other side effects.
L-theanine produces calming effects in the brain in ways that have been compared to meditation, massage, and aromatherapy. L-theanine induces relaxation without causing drowsiness. In fact, studies show that L-theanine enhances the brain's ability to concentrate, learn, and remember.(14-20) L-theanine increases GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), an inhibitory neurotransmitter that not only induces relaxation but also produces a sense of well-being.(21) L-theanine may normalize levels of dopamine, a critical brain hormone that is depleted by various stress factors.(15,21,22)
Research shows that L-theanine has numerous health-enhancing effects, including promoting healthy cognitive function. In studies of neurons in cell culture, L-theanine reversed glutamate- or other neurotoxicant-induced neurotoxicity, a major cause of normal brain aging.(11-22) Based on an enormous amount of published data showing the multiple beneficial effects of lemon balm extract and L-theanine, Life Extension has combined these potent but safe nutrients into a formula called Natural Stress Relief.
Note that the amount of L-theanine in this product is double that of most L-theanine standalone supplements. The reason for this potency increase is reports of greater benefit when at least 200 mg of L-theanine is taken.
Beware of Imitations: The L-theanine used in Natural Stress Relief is Suntheanine®, the only pure form of L-theanine protected by 40 internationally recognized patents and scientifically proven in clinical studies to be safe and efficacious. Independent laboratory analysis has verified that certain other products on the market claiming to contain "L-theanine" are only half L-theanine, the other half being a different form of theanine known as "D-theanine" which has not been scientifically evaluated in published studies.
1. Curr Pharm Des 2006;12:4613–4623.
2. J Pharm Pharmacol 2008;60:377–384.
3. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2011 Dec;17(6):683-98
4. Int J Essent Oil Ther 2007;1:143–152.
5. Barnes J, Anderson LA, Phillipson JD. Herbal Medicines, 3rd ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2007.
6. Psychosom Med. 2004 Jul-Aug;66(4):607-13
7. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003 Oct;28(10):1871-81.
8. Phytother Res. 2009 Aug;23(8):1075-81.
9. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2002 Jul;72(4):953-64
10. Biol Psychol. 2007 Jan;74(1):39-45.
11. Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 3, Issue 3, July 2011, Pages 171-178
12. Phytother Res. 2011 Nov;25(11):1636-9.
13.Trends Food Sci Technol 10 (1999), 199–204.
14. Biol Pharm Bull. 2002 Dec;25(12):1513-8.
15. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):21-30.
16. Biol Psychol. 2008 Feb;77(2):113-22.
17. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Dec 1;47(11):1601-10.
18. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Jul 16;320(1):116-22.
19. Neurotoxicology. 2008 Jul;29(4):656-62.
20. J Med Food. 2011 Apr;14(4):334-43.
21. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 25, 1513e1518.
22. LWT - Food Science and Technology 46 (2012) 64e70
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.