HCA (hydroxycitric acid) is a close relative of citric acid, the agent that gives citrus fruits their characteristic tart flavor. HCA occurs in Garcinia cambogia, a small fruit from southern India, where it has been used for centuries as a food preservative, flavoring agent, and digestive aid. HCA is a safe, natural supplement for weight management.(1)
When calorie intake exceeds the body’s energy needs, the excess glucose is converted into glycogen, which is stored in the liver and muscles for future conversion into energy. Weight gain occurs after the body’s capacity for glycogen storage is reached. At this point, glucose from excessive calorie intake is converted into acetyl coenzyme A via a metabolic pathway involving the enzyme ATP-citrate lyase and then into fat molecules, which are stored in fat cells. HCA is a competitive inhibitor of ATP citrate lyase, a key enzyme which facilitates the synthesis of fatty acids, cholesterol and triglycerides. HCA may reduce the synthesis of fatty acids in humans during a persistent excess of energy intake as carbohydrate.(2)
It has been suggested that HCA promotes weight loss by increasing serotonin levels, reducing hunger and appetite, and suppressing carbohydrate conversion into fat by inhibiting ATP-citrate lyase,(2-9) thus regulating fat and obesity related genes.(10) HCA may also attenuate the increases in oxidative stress, and insulin resistance.(11)
- J Med. 2004;35(1-6):33-48.
- Physiol Behav. 2006 Jul 30;88(4-5):371-81.
- J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Jan 2;50(1):10-22.
- Med Hypotheses. 1988 Sep;27(1):39-40.
- Curr Concepts Nutr. 1983;12:139-67.
- Acta Biochim Pol. 1976;23(2-3):227-34.
- Lipids. 1974 Feb;9(2):121-8.
- Lipids. 1974 Feb;9(2):129-34.
- J Biol Chem. 1971 Feb 10;246(3):629-32.
- DNA Cell Biol. 2007 Sep;26(9):627-39.
- Mol Cell Biochem. 2007 Oct;304(1-2):93-9.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
|Servings Per Container: 90
|Amount Per Serving
|Garcinia cambogia extract (fruit) [standardized to 60% hydroxycitric acid (300mg)]
|*Daily Value not established
** This supplement should be taken in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise program. Results may vary.
Product & Usage Information:
- Suggested Use: Take one capsule three times daily, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Best taken 45 minutes before meals.
- Storage: Store tightly closed in a cool, dry place. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- Other Ingredients:
vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, gum acacia, ascorbyl palmitate.
DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE. When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.