Anti-Alcohol with HepatoProtection Complex is an improved formula containing additional antioxidants designed to suppress free radicals, neutralize toxic alcohol metabolites such as acetaldehyde and support healthy liver function.
Consuming alcoholic beverages results in the generation of free radicals. People who drink a lot of alcohol often suffer because of massive free radical-induced cellular damage. Alcohol-induced free radical assault can wreak short-term havoc throughout the body, and these same damaging free radicals are associated with accelerated aging.
Reactive oxygen species (ROS) have been associated with acute ethanol-induced liver damage. A study published in the journal Artery confirmed a specific toxic metabolite of alcohol (acetaldehyde) and identified an antidote (N-acetyl-L-cysteine): "All known pathways of ethanol metabolism result in the production of acetaldehyde, a highly reactive compound. N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC), an analogue of the dietary amino acid cysteine, binds acetaldehyde, thus blocking its damaging effect on physiological proteins."82 NAC is a glutathione precursor and direct antioxidant. Co-administration of NAC helps to inhibit acute ethanol-induced liver damage via counteracting ethanol-induced oxidative stress.83,84 NAC also attenuates the progression of the abnormal retention of lipids within liver cells by decreasing development of oxidative stress and subsequent increases in TNF-alpha.
Thus, when people are exposed to a known substance such as alcohol, it makes perfect sense to take a proven antidote - namely, antioxidants.
In addition to vitamin B1, vitamin C, N-acetyl-L-cysteine and benfotiamine, this formula’s HepatoProtection Complex provides therapeutic doses of these novel antioxidants:
- Chlorophyllin - an agent that protects the body from oxidative stress89-91
- Leucoselect® grapeseed extract, silymarin (from milk thistle), and trans-resveratrol - three hepatoprotective agents that aid in reducing compounds from potentially harmful xenobiotics and protecting cells from free radical-induced oxidative stress92-94
- Picroliv® Picrorhiza kurroa root extract - contains antioxidant kutkin that scavenges alcohol-induced excess free radicals and stimulates regeneration of cells (hepatocytes)95,96
Taking the proper supplements before and after drinking can substantially protect liver cells from the free-radical damaging effects of alcohol consumption.
82. World J Gastroenterol. 2003 Apr;9(4):791-4.
83. Hepatol Res. 2006 Mar;34(3):199-206.
84. World J Gastroenterol. 2003 Apr;9(4):791-4.
89. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000 Sep 27;1487(2-3):113-27.
90. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004 May 3;1672(2):100-11.
91. Z Naturforsch [C]. 2007 Mar-Apr;62(3-4):215-22.
92. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2008 Jun;19(2):92-8.
93. Chem Biol Interact. 2009 May 15;179(2-3):297-303
94. World J Gastroenterol. 2008 Dec 14;14(46):7101-6.
95. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2009 Sep;10(6):641-9.
96. Indian J Exp Biol. 2010 Mar;48(3):323-8.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Individual results may vary.