Tired of popping anti-inflammatories for aches and pains? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) sometimes irritate the stomach, compelling many to take a break. Others may seek alternatives when they learn that NSAID overuse may create kidney and liver risks.1,2
Fibromyalgia (FM) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) joint and muscle aches demand some kind of intervention, and many will reach for NSAIDs out of habit. In fact, one survey found 62.2% of CFS patients took NSAIDs for bodily pain3 – a high percentage, considering the potential dangers tied to long-term use.
Patients are increasingly aware that other pathways to joint and body comfort exist-and they may offer safety and tolerability advantages that better meet the unique demands of FM and CFS.
Branded Botanicals for Joint & Body Comfort
Traditional herbs have been used for millennia to comfort stiff joints and achy muscles. In some botanicals, benefits extend beyond soothing comfort: They nourish joints and connective tissues to support healthy function for the long haul.
- The safe, long-term joint health support of herbals appears to contrast fast-acting NSAIDs, some of which have been shown to accelerate joint damage.4
Of course, just like NSAIDs, herbals have disadvantages. They can be hard to absorb, with active ingredients that may fluctuate from serving to serving. That’s where branded ingredients come in.
Found in premium supplements, branded ingredients often use patented technologies to enhance the effects of ancient herbs-boosting their absorption, bioavailability and potency. In addition, some branded ingredients have been tested in human clinical trials, offering solid evidence of safety and efficacy.
How does this help CFS and FM patients with joint and muscle aches? Two branded ingredients in particular appear poised to help FM and CFS sufferers’ quality of life-by supplying joint-and-muscle-soothing botanicals in concentrated, bioavailable forms.
In theory, these two ingredients-WokVel® (Boswellia serrata) and Longvida® (turmeric) – combine into a formula that fits many CFS and FM patients’ wish lists: Easy on the stomach, no harsh side effects, safe for long-term use, and effective at easing joint and body discomfort. Let’s take a closer look at these innovations.
What is it? A tree resin from Boswellia serrata, also known as Indian Frankincense or Guggul in Ayurvedic wellness practices.
What does it do? Boswellia supplies joint-soothing active ingredients known as boswellic acids.
How Does WokVel® make Boswellia better?
Boswellia is an amazing herb that has been prized for its wellness benefits for centuries. Modern evidence suggests any Boswellia benefits might be in spite of a major drawback:
- Boswellia’s active boswellic acids are poorly absorbed and highly metabolized, leading to low bioavailability.5
This means if you take Boswellia, its active compounds may not reach the bloodstream in sufficient amounts to bring any benefits.
Recognizing Boswellia’s vast potential if it were properly absorbed, scientists have developed advanced “branded” forms designed for peak bioavailability. WokVel® is one of these forms.
WokVel®’s claim to fame that it is uses patented processing techniques that yield a highly bioavailable form of Boswellia serrata-potentially optimizing its soothing bio-activities for joint, muscle, and connective tissue comfort.
Plain, hard-to-absorb Boswellia has been used successfully for a long time. If WokVel® can take this traditional herbal and make it significantly more absorbable, will its body-soothing benefits multiply? Some research seems to back this idea:
One randomized trial investigated how WokVel® measured up against an NSAID in a pool of 66 patients between the ages of 40 and 70 with knee problems and joint discomfort.
- Researchers found that a 32-week course of 333 mg of WokVel® daily was associated with significant improvements in knee function and comfort.
Researchers also noted that WokVel®:
- Took a longer time to start working, with benefits only appearing after one full month of use.
- Continued working even after supplementation stopped-a distinction they deemed important.
- Was well-tolerated; brought no significant side effects.6
Subscribe to the World's Most Popular Newsletter (it's free!)
WokVel® may also be advantageous because even though it processes Boswellia to make it bioavailable, it doesn’t alter the resin’s nutrient profile. WokVel® is standardized to 40% boswellic acids in naturally occurring ratios. This ensures users get a mirror image of the botanical nutrition that’s made Boswellia serrata resin an Ayurvedic health legend.
What is it? Turmeric, an ancient golden spice famed for its place in Indian cuisine and Ayurvedic health traditions.
What does it do? Turmeric supplies curcumin (complex of curcuminoids), an active ingredient with “soothing antioxidant” properties.
How Does Longvida® make turmeric better?
Turmeric is an ancient herbal with tremendous health potential, but it has key challenges to overcome. First, dried turmeric root only supplies a relatively low 2%-5% of the active ingredient that brings health benefits: Curcumin.7
Next, like Boswellia, turmeric’s active curcuminoid compounds are notoriously difficult to absorb, and high intake to achieve therapeutic levels may bring on “gastric distress” side effects.
Longvida® was developed to overcome these limitations and unlock curcumin’s full potential. A patented form of turmeric, Longvida® presents active curcuminoids formulated with patented SLCP™ Technology that boosts bioavailability by a factor of 65X.
- Short for “Solid Lipid Curcumin Particle” technology, SLCP™:
- Protects curcuminoids against stomach acids
- Delivers curcuminoids to the optimal absorption point
- Encourages free curcumin (the active form) to cross into the bloodstream.
These bioavailability advantages enable Longvida® curcumin to circulate widely throughout the body, including joints and muscles. Here, Longvida®’s soothing antioxidant activity may help with both short-term relief and long-term healthy function.
Longvida® joint health research remains in very early stages, but plain curcumin has shown some apparent joint health benefits:
- 45 patients with joint problems received either 500 mg curcumin, NSAID, or a combination of both, and were evaluated for joint health. All groups experienced significant improvements, but the curcumin group was found to have the highest percentage of improvement across all measures of joint health. Noting that curcumin was safe and free of side effects, the researchers dubbed curcumin a “superior” therapy for joint health.8
This study seems promising-even though it used plain, hard-to-absorb curcumin. Imagine what the results might have been with Longvida®, which makes curcumin 65X more bioavailable?
Boswellia and Turmeric: Better Together?
In Boswellia and turmeric, we have two traditional herbal therapies for joint health that seem to work well when taken alone. But the real potential of these herbs may be realized when they are taken together, as one research study suggests:
- In a study of 28 subjects with joint problems, half took a 500 mg Boswellia + Turmeric combo formula twice a day for twelve weeks; the rest took 100 mg NSAID. At study’s end, researchers reported that the herbal combo formula was well-tolerated and effective. In fact, they said it outperformed the NSAID, with greater improvements in pain, walking distance and joint tenderness.9
Find WokVel® PLUS Longvida® in ProHealth’s Optimized Curcumin Body & Joint®
ProHealth has designed a formula to bring you the legendary and complementary joint health support of Boswellia and turmeric together-in advanced WokVel® and Longvida® forms that may multiply their beneficial activities.
Called Optimized Curcumin Body & Joint®, this formula features:
- WokVel® 666 mg: Safe, effective and standardized to 40% boswellic acids, mirroring Boswellia’s natural ratios.
- Longvida® 400 mg: Patented SLCP™ (Solid Lipid Curcumin Particle) technology supplies active turmeric curcuminoids that are 65X more bioavailable than regular turmeric.
FM and CFS patients dealing with joint stiffness, aches, and swelling may have concerns about extensive use of NSAIDs to manage their systems. Traditional herbs for joint health may present alternative therapies for these populations.
Optimized Curcumin Body & Joint®, in supplying two of the best joint-supportive botanicals in vastly advanced forms, may represent a novel way for FM and CFS patients to get the soothing comfort they deserve-without the stomach complaints or other side effects that are sometimes associated with NSAID therapies.
3. Boneva, RS. Use of medications by people with chronic fatigue syndrome and healthy persons: a population-based study of fatiguing illness in Georgia. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2009, 7:67
4. Hauser, RA. The Acceleration of Articular Cartilage Degeneration in Osteoarthritis by Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs. Journal of Prolotherapy. 2010;(2)1:305-322.
5. Krüger P, et al. Metabolism of Boswellic Acids in Vitro and in Vivo. DMD June 2008 vol. 36 no. 6 1135-1142.
6. Sontakke S, Thawani V, Pimpalkhute S, Kabra P, Babhulkar S, Hingorani L. Open, randomized, controlled clinical trial of Boswellia serrata extract as compared to valdecoxib in osteoarthritis of knee. Indian J Pharmacol 2007;39:27-9
8. Chandran B, Goel A. A randomized, pilot study to assess the efficacy and safety of curcumin in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Phytother Res. 2012 Nov;26(11):1719-25.
9. Kizhakkedath, R. Clinical evaluation of a formulation containing Curcuma longa and Boswellia serrata extracts in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Molecular Medicine Reports 8, no. 5 (2013): 1542-1548