WiFi-Caused Health Problems for the Hypersensitive?
Here’s a report by Public Radio International on the subject of electromagnetic hypersensitivity – especially WiFi, which is the wireless internet connection networks we find everywhere nowadays. There’s a short article and an audio download (mp3) of the full program – “WIFI causes, headaches, chronic pain for some.”
They interviewed a woman who got relief from her health problems by moving to a part of West Virginia (The US Radio Quiet Zone) where WIFI/microwave signals aren’t allowed, in order to protect radio telescopes. – L
Video – Are You at Risk for Depression?
I found this video very good about explaining how you may be at risk for depression [although it begins with an ad]
(http://mental.healthguru.com/video/are-you-at-risk-for-depression). – T
Information on ME/CFS in 10 Languages
The ME/CFS Australia site (www.mecfs.org.au) offers some very good educational handouts in English as well as traditional Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Just click on Information in other languages to find handouts on “Working with your health care team,” “Newly diagnosed with ME/CFS,” “Family and friends,” “Learning to ‘pace’,” “Pacing: Tables,” and “Nutrition and ME/CFS.” – W
Spray of Hope for Memory Problems & Alzheimer’s?
FYI, a Mayo Clinic physician Q&A on this research (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alzheimers-nose-spray/AN01956) indicates, “A phase II clinical trial on the use of inhaled insulin to treat Alzheimer’s disease is under way. This treatment is available only to current study participants. The study involves about 170 people who have Alzheimer’s disease or mild cognitive impairment.” – C
Flu Vaccine Study Info for Those with Autoimmune Conditions
Studies show people with autoimmune conditions benefit. Read on to learn how. You may be basking in the sun right now, but before you know it fall will be here, with flu season right at its heels. That means it’s time to start thinking about whether to get vaccinated against the influenza virus. Two new studies may help with that decision. Each takes a closer look at the effect of flu vaccines on patients with autoimmune diseases. Read more HERE.
– Arthritis Today (www.arthritistoday.org)
Thoughts on the Pain Rating Scale
Sleepy-B’s September 2 “Sailing through the Fibro Fog” blog post is on the “1 to 10” pain rating scale, the difficulty of rating and appreciating another’s pain, and the question of whether your assessment of relative severity changes when you’ve been used to constant pain. – J
Experiences with Fluroquinolone Drug Toxicity/Sensitivity
• I had very few issues, all minor, until I was blasted not once, not twice but 4 times with these dangerous drugs [e.g., Cipro, Avelox, Levaquin]. I had no clue that the medicine was what was and still is making me very sick (nor do the medical community). I feel just like I have been poisoned. I am the Quinolone Vigilance Foundation Ambassador for the state of South Carolina. Our mission is to spread the word, educate others and one day… heal. PBS just aired a documentary on the dangers of the adverse side effects. [“Quinolone Documentary Mystery Diagnosis Fibromyalgia, NPR” posted Jul 2, 2011 – www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN16B-ESds] – J
• The fluroquinolones are an especially dangerous class of drugs and yet, docs can’t wait to prescribe them. I, like one in eight people, am allergic to fluoride. One dose of Cipro almost put me in the ER. At the time I took it, I didn’t know of the fluoride allergy. There are a number of ABX [antimicrobial drugs] which are effective for me and still, docs try to get me to take Cipro. One even prescribed Avelox, knowing of my allergy. I was so sick with bronchitis that I didn’t notice it until I got to the pharmacy. I called the clinic and told the nurse what a potentially dangerous mistake the doc made. She told me the allergy was on my chart. I’ve since found out that many docs call these drugs “quinolones” without realizing they contain fluoride. … I refuse new drugs now because so many are later in class-action lawsuits. I perform due diligence on every drug I take. I’ve found that I usually know more about the drugs than my docs do. – M
ME/CFS Film to Premiere Oct 8 in California – Tickets on Sale Now
The new film ‘Voices from the Shadows’ which is a sort of sequel to the book Lost Voices from a Hidden Illness, which I made for Invest in ME, will be having its premiere at Mill Valley (CA) Film Festival on October 8th, followed by a discussion with Stanford Prof Jose Montoya [one of the world’s leading virologists and ME/CFS researchers] and the journalist David Tuller, who writes for the New York Times. Tickets are on sale at http://www.mvff.com/
The film will also be screened in a ‘special sneak preview’ at the IACFS/ME conference in Ottawa – at a reception for all attendees on the first night – this Thursday, Sep 22.
There is a trailer on the website for ‘Voices from the Shadows’ at www.voicesfromtheshadowsfilm.co.uk
The Facebook page is www.facebook.com/VoicesfromtheShadows?sk=info
– Natalie Boulton, joint film maker with Josh Biggs
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Screening Quiz
Do you feel tingling or numbness in the palm of your hand and fingers? The median nerve travels from the forearm into your hand through a “tunnel” in your wrist. The bottom and sides of this tunnel are formed by wrist bones. The top of the tunnel is covered by a strong band of connective tissue called a ligament (tranverse ligament). What is carpal tunnel syndrome and do you have symptoms? Take the Carpal Tunnel Screening Quiz.
– About.com Arthritis & Joint Conditions (http://arthritis.about.com)
Diet that Includes Dairy Cuts Later Risk of Diabetes 2
Q: Found out I am at high risk for diabetes. What can I change about my lifestyle and diet to make it so I’m less of a risk?
A: Recent research provides many suggestions (search on diabetes diet in the ProHealth library), but this new study by the Harvard School of Public Health indicates a habit of including dairy products in the diet took the risk down a big 38%-43%. The women who drank milk, etc. in high school were more likely to continue the habit as they aged, but we wonder if it’s ever too late to start.
New Test for ME/CFS?
In a recent investment conference, the CEO of Ampligen developer Hemispherx Biopharma reportedly said they plan to reveal information about a potential diagnostic test for ME/CFS this week at the IACFS/ME Conference in Ottawa [Sep 22-25]. Apparently it could pinpoint potential genetic code characteristics associated with ME/CFS and people who respond best to Ampligen therapy. – H
Note: This information has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is generic and anecdotal and is not meant to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any illness, condition or disease. It is very important that you make no change in your healthcare plan or health support regimen without researching and discussing it in collaboration with your professional healthcare team.